JLM Twinnovation Lunch 2018
On June 7th the JLM High-Tech Day took place in Brussels. The day started with a conference in the European Parliament, followed by a lunch and a public afterwork event on Place du Luxembourg. Theme of the conference: “Building a Start-up Ecosystem from Scratch – Scaling up the Jerusalem Model to create Europe’s First Google.”
From left to right: Tom Feys (Cabinet of the Belgian Minister of Finance), Pierre Demaerel (BVA) and Brian Macguire (moderator)
The JLM Twinnovation lunch was a great opportunity for Belgians and Israelis active in the Venture Capital sphere to meet and mingle. The Belgian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (BVA) was represented by its Secretary General, Pierre Demaerel, and chairman, Jan Alexander. ImecXpand and Participatiemaatschappij Vlaanderen (PMV), both venture funds and members of the BVA, were also among the attendees. They exchanged expertise with their Israeli counterparts, such as Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP), MassChallenge and fresh.fund. Bruno Vandegehuchte from Scale-ups.eu already actively partners with JVP for SuperNova, a growth-stage VC event which will invite a total of 50 European Scale-Ups.
Some exciting Jerusalem-based start-ups, such as Orcam and Keepers, also shortly presented their innovative solutions. Not only could they directly talk with possible investors, they could also profit from knowledge exchange with scale-ups.eu, B-Hive and startups.be, the voice of the startups in Belgium.
The Israeli Venture Funds:
- JVP is an internationally renowned venture capital fund based in Israel. Established in 1993, JVP has raised over $1 billion to date and has been ranked as one of the top-ten consistently performing VC firms in the world.
- fresh.fund is Israel’s first university-focused venture capital fund. It has its feet on the ground across Israel’s leading academic institutions, positioning the fund to identify and invest in the most promising early-stage startups and technologies — founded by exceptional students, academics & recent grads — before anyone else (and at a fraction of the cost).
- MassChallenge Israel, the largest and most diverse accelerator in the country supporting Multinationals, Philanthropists and the Public Sector as they connect to the world’s most promising startups.
The Israeli startups:
- Lightricks is fast-becoming the go-to creator of popular, award-winning image and video editing apps.
- Keepers tracks suspicious & abusive content messages on children’s smartphones and social media platforms (Facebook, WhatsApp, SnapChat, Instagram and etc..), alerting parents in real-time if their child is being threatened.
- Orcam’s mission is to harness the power of artificial vision by incorporating pioneering technology into a wearable platform which improves the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability or people with other conditions.
- 6Degrees developed a wearable-solution called Crescent – a band embedded with a unique learning algorithm enabling people with disabilities to use their electronic devices with no limitation.
- Panda is the first dairy free vegan milk chocolate in Israel, that tastes exactly like the real thing (you wouldn’t know the difference!).