Complete R&D Proposal Deadline: Friday, July 19, 2013 by Midnight EDT
The Canada-Israel Industrial R&D Foundation (CIIRDF) is pleased to announce the first Call for Proposals (CFP) for the Canada-Israel Energy S&T Fund (CIEST Fund).
The CIEST Fund invites Canadian and Israeli companies and academic researchers to cooperate on the research, development and commercialization of innovative energy technologies and processes.
With a strong focus on key challenges in the unconventional oil and gas sector, the CIEST Fund promotes innovation that enhances the development of sustainable resources such as the oil sands and shale-derived hydrocarbon; improves the efficiency of key renewable energy sources; and reduces environmental impact associated with energy exploration, extraction, processing and production. Other areas of focus include: new renewable energy sources; energy efficiency in buildings, communities, industry and transportation; bioenergy and clean electricity generation; and the electrification of transportation.
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) is committing $5 million to the CIEST Fund over the next three years with matching funds to be allocated by the Government of Israel on a project-by-project basis.
- Canadian companies are eligible to receive up to a maximum of 50 percent of the total R&D project value, ranging from a minimum of CDN $300,000 to a maximum of $500,000 per R&D project. This award could be increased up to a maximum of CDN $1 million for high quality consortium-led projects with at least two Canadian industrial and two academic partners.
- Canadian academic partners from universities and colleges: Leveraging a partnership with CIIRDF, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) will fund eligible academic components of selected CIEST Fund projects. NSERC will award funding directly to collaborating Canadian university and college researchers as a non-repayable grant if the project has an integrated CRD (Collaborative R&D) or ARD (Applied R&D) component.
- For Israeli companies, funding will be provided by the Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS), Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor, Israel (MOITAL). As such, regular OCS rules apply to this CFP. In addition to regular one year funding, applicants may pursue additional support for an International Project. Funding will be determined by the R&D Review Committee of the OCS up to a maximum of 50 percent of the Israeli company’s project budget. Please click here for complete OCS funding guidelines.
- Submission of Proposal Summary for Pre-Proposal Assessment: Ongoing
- Deadline for Submission of Full R&D Proposals: July 19, 2013
- Notice of Funding Decision: October 2013
Download the CFP Document
To download the CIEST Fund CFP document, which includes eligibility, funding terms and conditions, application guidelines and templates, please click here.
For Additional Information
For additional information about this CFP, the CIEST Fund or CIIRDF, please contact: